What is Foot Reflexology?
Reflexology can be approached on 2 different levels: well-being and health, both being linked. It helps people maintain health and keeps you in the best possible condition in a holistic point of view.
- Deep alternating pressures, (with also massaging motions), applied on reflex points of the feet corresponding to organs, glands and parts of the body.
- Those pressures stimulate the zonal pathways, improving nerve and blood supply, detoxifying congested areas, clearing blockages consequently releasing tensions and reducing pains.
- Well-being and health being linked reflexology is a holistic approach and reflexologists look both at physical and emotional states as well as life style including eating habits.
How does it work?
- Among all the different components of our feet is an intricate network of nerves and blood vessels.
- They contained more than 7000 nerve endings.
- The pressure applied to a nerve ending constitutes a stimulus (electrochemical impulse) and induce reactions in tissues and a physiological change.
- A message is sent through the nerve fibres, the spinal and nervous system pathway of the body.
- It helps releasing endorphins well known as pain relief for its analgesic effect.
- On some reflex points the reflexology practitioner may feel crystals. (waste products accumulated at the lowest point of gravity). They form themselves when an obstacle is placed in an energy channel and impedes the energy flow to serve an organ or gland properly.
- The reflexologist discovers and work out the sensitive spots thus breaking down the tensions, helping eliminate those toxins, supporting the protection of the immune system.
Why choose reflexology?
- Everybody can benefit from reflexology, from the tiny baby to the elderly.
- No need to undress, very handy for old people or persons not being well at ease with their body. For those people reflexology is a good and easy way to gain access to well-being.
- No effort requested from the individual.
- Relaxation, mindfulness come by themselves during the session.
- Feeling of comfort and well-being during the session.
- Reflexology is totally safe, simple and effective.
- It can be safely used within the family circle after a demonstration of simple motions by the practitioner.
So try reflexology and if you don’t already know its benefits, you’ll soon discover them!
As far as well-being and relaxation are concerned there are no restrictions, reflexology is fully efficient. But a good reflexologist must be aware and inform his/her customers that reflexology is not a panacea and that efficiency and effects can differ from one person to another. (S)he must not make a diagnose, mustn’t prescribe. A reflexology session mustn’t replace a medical treatment; it can only be complementary to it if a person already follows a medical treatment.