Thermo Auricular Therapy
Hopi Ear Candles have been used by many generations by the North and South Amerian natives, in addition to the Egyptian, African, Oriental and European cultures in their rituals. The procedure is coming back into practice once again as it is useful for sufferers of the following conditions:
- Excess or Compacted Ear Wax
- Headaches and Migraine
- Hay Fever / Rhinitis
- It’s also a great treatment to have when recovering from a cold or flu or simply to de-stress and clear the head.
- The aromatherapy effects of the candle promote relaxation and stress reduction.
- A lot of people have this treatment before going on holiday, as it is also effective before going on an aeroplane journey.
What happens in an Ear Candle Session?
The heat from the candle eases pain and discomfort in the ear. The ingredients impregnated in the cotton vaporise and are drawn down the hollow cente of the candle via a “chimney effect”. Clients often describe the sound they hear as small fire crackers. Impurities are drawn out of the ear, into the candle and are either burned away or collected in the filter. Both ears must be treated, and the treatment takes approximately half an hour. A soothing facial massage is usually performed afterwards, draining the sinuses, reinforcing lymph action and blood flow.
Who can have an Ear Candle Session?
Because Ear Candling is so natural, it is perfectly safe for the elderly and young children (if your child can keep very still!).
There are some cases where ear candles cannot be used and this is if:
- The ear drum is perforated
- Grommets or other such drainage devices are in place in the eardrum
- The outer ear is infected or inflamed
- You are allergic to any of the candle ingredients
- Antibiotics are being taken for an ear, nose or throat problem
- Root canal or other dental work has left the face sore
- A cochlea implant is in place
In any of these circumstances your therapist will advise you when treatment can commence.