What is Health Coaching?
Health Coaching blends health education with health promotion, using a diverse range of interventions, all with the common aim of helping people to improve their own health and wellbeing. Health Coaches' key roles include:
- Undertaking initial health & wellbeing assessments
- Providing education about nutrition, exercise, rest and stress management
- Helping patients navigate the healthcare system
- Offering ongoing emotional & practical support
- Providing continuity of care
Health Coaching, alongside usual Medical treatment, may help in the management of numerous chronic conditions. It may also help with stress management, and has been associated with the following:
- Improved physical and mental health status
- Increased physical activity
- Better weight management
- Reduced tobacco use
- Reduced alcohol intake
- Increased fruit and vegetable intake
- Increased exercise levels
- Increased self confidence in managing health
- Increased motivation
Will I benefit from Health Coaching?
Health coaching may help you if you
- Have long term physical conditions
- Are seeking to lose weight
- Are seeking to reduce unhealthy behaviours (for example smoking / excess alcohol / poor diet)
- Are seeking to manage stress
- Have a specific short term need or condition
Health and wellness goals vary widely and may include:
- Reducing chronic pain
- Improving mobility
- Reducing stress
- Losing weight
- Quitting smoking or reducing alcohol
- Improving digestion
- Improving sleep
- Improving nutritional status
- Boosting energy levels
- Improving general fitness
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity"
-World Health Organisation
What can I expect from a health coaching program?
During the first consultation, a full medical and lifestyle history is taken. We focus on your current health issues, how they are impacting on your life, where you are now and what you wish to change. The aim of the first session is to formulate a set of personalised health and wellness goals based on your individual health needs, and to develop a plan for achieving them.
During the following sessions and throughout the course of the program, you will gradually work towards your health goals, developing new strategies, techniques and knowledge, that you will be able to incorporate into your daily life in a sustainable way.
The end results vary from person to person, but generally include improved nutritional status, healthier lifestyle habits, improved physical activity levels, weight loss, better stress management and improved quality of sleep.
Length of Health Coaching Programs vary according to need, but typically comprise fortnightly sessions for a period of 3 - 6 months.
Who provides Health Coaching?
Your First Step
Book a free 15 minute telephone consultation with Rebecca. This gives you the opportunity to have a chat about your health concerns and decide whether to work with Rebecca to improve your health.